Zucchini and Romesco Sandwich with Ricotta and Avocado Recipe
An easy, picnic perfect zucchini and romesco sandwich recipe.
A new take on a sandwich that will have everyone reaching for more!
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini scrubbed and cut lengthwise into slices 1⁄4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup romesco sauce
- 2 avocados, pitted and sliced or cut into chunks
- 1 lemon
- Halved Pita bread (whole wheat recommended)
1. Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
2. Place the zucchini in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred on the outside and mostly tender on the inside, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside in a colander to drain the oil and extra liquid as it cools.
3. Lightly toast the pita on grill or in pan.
4. Cut pitas in half and gently open the pockets. Spread the romesco inside the pita on the bottom half. Spread the top half with ricotta cheese.
5. Drizzle the avocado with lemon juice (to keep the avocado from browning). Place avocado and grilled zucchini inside the pita.
6. Wrap in beeswax paper or sandwich wrap and store in a cooler or refrigerator or serve within 2 hours.
If you make this recipe, let us know what you think and tag us in your photos on social media! Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more recipes and kitchen tips.
This article was originally published in the Summer 2022 issue of Clover Living magazine. Want to see more articles like this? Subscribe to Clover Living magazine for free (if you aren’t already subscribed) here.
This article was medically reviewed by Dr. Kumar Dharmarajan
Writer: Sarah Copeland; Photographer: Ryan Liebe; Food Styling: Hadas Smirnoff; Prop Styling: Paige Hicks; Photo Editor: Lisa Dalsimer; Creative Direction: Peter Yates