An affordable, delicious meal with just a few ingredients? Yes, please!
This meal comes together quickly, especially if you cook the rice in advance. Experiment with different salsas to change up the flavor of this dish, and add leftover vegetables for an even bigger nutritious boost of flavor!
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice (preferably medium or long-grain), rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt cups prepared
- 1 1/4 cups of prepared salsa, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can low- sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of coleslaw mix, shredded romaine, or other lettuce
- 1 cup Mexican-blend cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir, cooking until rice smells warm and toasty, 1 minute.
- Stir in the water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, keep covered and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove lid, fluff rice with a fork, and transfer to serving bowls.
- Clean the sauce pan and set over medium heat. Add 1⁄4 cup salsa and 1⁄4 cup beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are warmed, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble each bowl with 1 cup lettuce, 3⁄4 cup brown rice, 1⁄3 cup black beans, 1⁄4 cup cheese, and 2 tablespoons salsa.
Bonus! Fresh cilantro or pumpkin seeds are tasty toppings on these filling bowls.
This article was originally published in the fall 2022 issue of Clover Living magazine. Want to see more articles like this? Subscribe to Clover Living magazine for free (if you aren’t already subscribed) here.
Photo credit: Sara Haas