Delicious roasted chicken, flavorful veggies, and the a creamy peanut sauce come together to make a meal that's packed with protein and flavor.
This meal is packed with vegetables and flavor! Roasting the chicken in advance makes prep a snap, and you can save even more time by making the peanut sauce and brown rice the day before you plan on enjoying this dish.
Good source of protein and potassium
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red
- Pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh Ginger (Or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground Ginger)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red
- Pepper (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups shredded or grated carrots
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (purple or green)
- 2 cups shredded roasted chicken, warmed
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
To make cucumbers:
1. Combine the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, and crushed red pepper in a large bowl.
2. trim ends off cucumber and slice in half lengthwise. Place cucumbers, skin-side up, on a cutting board. Use the side of a chef’s knife or meat mallet to smash the skin until split. Slice cucumbers into bite-size pieces.
3. Transfer cucumbers to the large bowl. Toss with dressing and set aside.
To make peanut sauce:
4. Combine the peanut butter, lime juice, honey, ginger, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, and water in a small bowl.
Assemble the bowls:
5. Divide brown rice, carrots, and cabbage among bowls. Top with chicken and cucumbers.
6. Garnish with scallions and peanuts. Drizzle peanut sauce on top.
This article was originally published in the winter 2022 issue of Clover Living magazine.
Published on 3/29/23
Photo credit: Sara Haas