Before deciding on the right Medicare option for you, think about what makes sense for your situation, health, and wallet.
When it comes to healthcare coverage, each person has different needs. Here are a few things to think about before choosing a Medicare plan that's right for you.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Selecting a Medicare Plan
Before choosing a Medicare plan, ask yourself these questions to help decide what matters most to you and what you need in a new plan.
- What type of healthcare plan do I currently have?
- What do I like about my current coverage?
- How much am I able to pay out of pocket for my healthcare and medicines?
- What would I add to my current coverage to make it ideal?
- Who currently helps me make decisions about my coverage?
Things to Consider When Choosing a Medicare Plan
The four main things to look at when you’re comparing Medicare plans are: cost, benefits, convenience, and your health history. When you’re researching Medicare plans, ask yourself these questions
- Cost. What will I pay for premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, and copays? If I choose a Medicare Advantage plan, what is the out-of-pocket maximum?
- Benefits. Does the plan have all the benefits I’m looking for, like prescription drug coverage? What about dental care or eyeglasses?
- Convenience. Are the plan’s in-network providers (PCPs, specialists, and hospitals) near me?
- Health history. Do I have a chronic condition? How many prescription drugs do I take? Do I need more coverage than Original Medicare?
Having the answers to the questions above will give you the knowledge and confidence to make the right decision.
A Few Words of Wisdom
- Select the plan with the coverage and costs that work for you.
- Be informed of premiums, copays, and coinsurance.
- Be informed of prescription coverage and costs.
And remember, Medicare Advantage plans cover everything Original Medicare does, are reviewed and approved by Medicare each year, and usually include prescription drug coverage and extra benefits.
Keep in mind, if you’re already enrolled in Original Medicare, no matter which plan you choose, you’ll still be in the Medicare program and will continue to pay your Medicare premiums.
We know there’s a lot to consider as you weigh your healthcare options. To learn more about Medicare or Clover Health’s Medicare Advantage plans, give us a call at 1-855-203-1461 (TTY 711) 8 am–8 pm local time, 7 days a week.*
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
- 1-877-486-2048 (TTY)
- “Medicare & You” handbook, published each fall by CMS
- 1-800-325-0778 (TTY)
- www.socialsecurity.gov (Sign up for Medicare, apply for Extra Help, or report a change in address online.)
Your State Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
Your State Medicaid Office
Want to learn more about Medicare? Check out the following articles to answer your questions.